IT’S POLLEN TIME
The Bradford Pears are blooming here and the pollen is in the air. I have been seeing lots of itchy eyes and noses. Here are some ideas of what you can do if you are feeling the itch…
FIRST – Physically remove the mold from your face, eyes, nose and sinuses, and your home! It’s pretty simple, but just washing away pollen can be a big help.
- Wash the pollen out of your nose and sinuses using a Neti pot, Hydropulse or other nasal irrigator.
- You can use an eye cup and sterile saline to wash pollen out of your eyes
- Even though it’s tempting, keep your windows closed. Get a better house air filter. Take your shoes off when you come in and vacuum frequently.
- Even just washing your face with plain water several times a day can help.
- HEPA filters either free standing or HEPA vacuums can help, although they can be expensive.
SECOND – Use non-toxic antihistamines. Quercetin and vitamin C works very well for many of my patients. I really like a product called Neuroprotek, which contains specific bioflavinoids in a olive kernel oil base. It was developed by a professor of Internal Medicine and Allergy at Tufts University and is one of my most popular products because it works.
THIRD – Find out why your immune system is in overload and do something about it. Allergies are not normal but they are increasing exponentially in our world. Dr. Leo Galland thinks this is due to the increasing toxic load all of us bear.
- Do an elimination diet to 1. find hidden food allergies and 2. give your immune system a break. This often gives rapid relief from many allergic symptoms. I have seen good results following a specific regimen using professional quality shake mixes designed to support liver detoxification, along with a short term allergen elimination diet.
- Get genetic testing from 23andme.com to see if you have genetic issues dealing with histamine. The genetic variances we are looking for are in the enzyme DAO which has to do with histaminic foods we ingest, and with HNMT which is a liver enzyme which clears histamines from the blood. Some people have specific issues which can be addressed with diet and supplementation.
If you want more information or would like to have help finding solutions to your allergic challenges please call or email my office.